You can borrow up to 50 items at any given time with your Berkeley Public Library card. Our collection contains over 1/2 million items, and if we don't have it here, we can most likely get it for you through Link+.
Link+ is a cooperative project among dozens of academic and public libraries. It allows library cardholders to request books from these other libraries when the title they want is not available at the Berkeley Public Library. Typically Link+ items arrive at the Library 2-4 days after you request them. We will hold items for you for 10 days. Items go out for 3 weeks, and if there are no other holds, can be renewed once for 21 more days. Be aware the fine for overdue Link+ materials is $1.00/day. The fee for lost or damaged Link+ items is $115.00. To learn how Link+ works, you can view this brief tutorial (requires Macromedia Flash), or read more here. Link+ is FREE.
|Books||21 days||2 renewals|
|Books on CD/Cassette||21 days||2 renewals|
|DVD/VHS||7 days||1 renewal|
|Music CD/Cassette||21 days||1 renewal|
|Tools||3 or 7 days||yes|
|Link+||21 days||1 renewal|
Patrons can have up to 50 items on their record at any time.
|Fines per day|
|Books on CD/Cassette||$0.25|
Children's items have no overdue fines.
- Patrons 60 years of age and above are considered seniors. Fines for seniors are $0.10 each day - except for DVDs, videos, and tools.
- Your account is blocked when your fines exceed $10.
- Your account may be referred to a collection agency if your fees exceed $50.
- Fines can be paid at any Berkeley Public Library location, we accept cash, checks, Mastercard and Visa. Staff will ask you for photo ID when you pay by check or credit card. Your fines can also be paid online using your Mastercard or Visa.
- Financial transactions via the telephone are not available.
- All library materials, except tools and slides, may be returned to any Berkeley Public Library.
- All sites, except the Tool Library, have outside book drops open 24/7. Tool Library items must be returned to the Tool Library during Tool Library open hours.
- Items left in outside book drops after hours on the day they are due will not have any overdue charges.
- We send you a courtesy reminder 7 days before your item is due.
- Return overdue items even if you are not paying the fine immediately.
- Fines stop accumulating when you return the overdue item.
- We notify you when your item is 2 weeks overdue.
- The Library sends a replacement bill when your item is 5 weeks overdue.
The Library charges a replacement fee for lost and stolen items. With some exceptions, this fee includes the price of the item and a non-refundable $10 processing fee. Your account will be blocked when you have not returned an item by the time a bill is sent for it. If the items are still not returned within 8 weeks after the due date, you may be referred to a collection agency. If so, you will be charged $20 in addition to the bill and overdue fees.
Email - If you supply an email address when you apply for your library card, the Library communicates with you only through email. Keep your email address current. Telephone - If you did not provide an email address, the automated telephone system calls you. The message states only that materials are overdue. It does not announce your name or any information about your materials. U.S. Mail - If you have not supplied an email address or a telephone number, the Library mails you a printed notice.