Adult Literacy Program
Central Library (Relocated due to
West Branch closure for new construction)
2090 Kittredge, Berkeley, CA 94704
What Is Berkeley Reads?
Berkeley Reads is the adult literacy program of the Berkeley Public Library. We offer a variety of services to English-speaking adults who want to improve their basic reading and writing skills. Most adult literacy students participate in one-to-one tutoring with trained volunteers; we also offer family literacy programming for students with small children, computer-assisted learning, small group instruction, periodic workshops and student leadership opportunities. Services are always FREE and confidential.
How To Get Free One-on-one Tutoring
Adults who read at 8th grade or below may benefit from Berkeley Reads services. We encourage potential students to call 510-981-6299 and schedule an initial intake to register for our program. To be eligible for Berkeley Reads, an adult needs to:
- Be 16 years or older
- Speak English comfortably over the phone and in person
- Not be enrolled in high school
- Please call 510-981-6299 to arrange office visits and literacy staff appointments. (Central Library office is located in a staff-only area on the 2nd floor.)
Computer Lab Hours
- Central Library - 3rd floor / Electronic Classroom
- Tuesday 10:00am-5:00pm, drop-in/scheduled sessions
- Thursday 11:00am - 5:pm
- Library Literacy Program Coordinator
- Library Literacy Program Assistant
- Family & Health Literacy Instructor
- Family Literacy Class Instructor
- Tutor Trainer
To become a Volunteer Tutor, please call 510-981-6299 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for quarterly tutor trainings in January/March/June/September.