July 5, 2006
New Online Reference Books
The Library's subscription to Gale Virtual Reference Books has been updated and now includes the following titles: International Dictionary of Film and Filmmakers (4 volumes, 4th edition), VideoHound's Golden Movie Retriever (2006 edition), Encyclopedia of Management (5th edition), Encyclopedia of Small Business (2 volumes, 2nd edition), College Blue Book (6 volumes, 33rd edition), Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia (17 volumes, 2nd edition), Grzimek's Student Animal Life Resources (21 volumes), American Decades (10 volumes), New Dictionary of the History of Ideas (6 volumes), The People's Chronology (3rd edition), Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History in America (3 volumes), and Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religious Practices (3 volumes).
June 22, 2006
African American Studies Center
New from the Oxford University Press, Berkeley Public Library now subscribes to the African American Resource Center. This online resource includes:
* Over 7500 articles from Oxford's authoritative reference program--with primary source documents, images, maps, chart and tables, and much more!
* Primary Source Documents, with specially written commentaries, take you through the personal and public histories of African Americans.
* Maps illustrate over 90 country and territory articles, with thematic maps highlighting major events from the Civil War to the Civil Rights Movement.
* Timelines guide you through the history of African Americans in sports, the military, and more, including women's history and Africa and the Diaspora.
* Charts and tables provide information on everything from demographics to government and politics to business and labor to education and the arts.